Author Topic: Ventless LP Heater  (Read 2736 times)

BoB_K

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • Where's that silly trout
Ventless LP Heater
« on: May 23, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
Looking at getting rid of my ancient oil burner at the cabin and was wondering if anybody here has experience with these? Looking at the Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU blue flame ventless heater or similar. Do I really need a licensed professional to hook it up? I plan on having it on its own 100 lb. tank. I briefly viewed the owners manual on line and looks confusing and was thinking I could just run a flexible line from the tank to the heater with a shut off valve inline near the heater unit. Any ideas or opinions? I also see that the 12 ft. feed lines for sale have a regulator built in which is required for the unit.
Brookies Forever

Gimp

• Caddis
  • So I was sitting back picking my nose when...
Re: Ventless LP Heater
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
First off, the bad. You're gonna need some type of regulator because gas flow out of a 100 lb. tank isn't consistent from a full to a near empty tank. The regulator also lowers the pressure cause propane under pressure will leach the oil out of any rubber hosing, fittings, o-rings and gaskets which leads to all kinds of bad stuff. The regulator needs to be sized to your unit ( doooood, nice unit) and it's flow rate.

Just cause it says 'ventless' doesn't mean the thing won't kill you in your sleep. he room still needs to be vented for fresh air intake and exhaust of CO. Ask the 3-5 idiots every year who install these things in air tight ice shacks and end up in the ER sucking oxygen or worse, taking the long dirt nap.

Make sure 30,000 btu is enough and make sure you have room. Anything siting directly in front of this thing is going to get toasted.

The good. They are very good on gas. The gas is a lot easier to work with than fuel oil.

AndyK

• Caddis
  • I'd Rather be Fishing!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
I am with other guy, never trusted a ventless heater.

I have a vented propane heater that came out of an old cabin, no electric needed, yours if you want it.

SirTrout

• Administrator
  • Caddis
  • Fly fishing is not just for royalty.
    • FlyFishingWis
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
Next time you are at my cabin, take a look at mine.  It's been a good unit all these years.

BTW do you have a CO2 detector in your cabin?
www.FlyFishingWis.com

Vegetarian: Primitive word for "Lousy Hunter"

BoB_K

• Global Moderator
  • Caddis
  • Where's that silly trout
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
Yep I do have a CO2 detector at the cabin and Andy, I might take you up on that offer.
Brookies Forever